Health Minister’s Discretionary Grant (HMDG)
Financial assistance is provided under HMDG to the poor patients with family income less than Rs.1,00,000/- annually and suffering from major illness and undergoing treatment in Government Hospitals/Institutions, to defray a part of the expenditure on hospitalization/treatment, in cases where free medical facilities are not available.
Criteria laid down for sanctioning grants
The broad criteria laid down for sanctioning such grants are:
- Reimbursement of expenditure already incurred is not permissible.
- Prolonged treatment involving recurring expenditure is not permissible.
- Financial assistance is not admissible for diseases of common nature where treatment is not expensive.
- Financial assistance is not admissible for T.B. cases for which free treatment is available under National T.B.Control Programme.
- Cases for treatment in private hospital are not entertained.
- Central as well as State Government employees are not eligible for grant under rules.
- Only those having annual family income up to Rs.1.00,000/ – and below are eligible for financial assistance from Health Minister’s Discretionary Grant (HMDG)
Financial assistance limits are as follows:
- Rs.50, 000/- if the estimated cost of treatment is up to Rs. 1, 00,000/- .
- Rs. 75,000/- if the estimated cost of treatment is above Rs. 1,00,000/- & up to Rs. 1,50,000/-.
- Rs.1, 00,000/- if the estimated cost of treatment is above Rs.1, 50,000/-.
To avail financial assistance under HMDG, the patient is required to submit :
- A copy of the prescribed proforma application duly filled in by the treating Doctor/HOD and duly countersigned by the Medical Superintendent of the Hospital from where the patient is receiving the treatment, to be submitted to the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- A Certificate in original from the BDO/ Tehsildar/Collector /SDM (quoting full name, designation, telephone number and complete official address of the certificate issuing authority) regarding occupation and monthly/yearly income of the applicant and his/her family members from all sources.
- Copy of the ration card.
For more details, contact
Director (Grants), Ministry of Health & Family Welfare
Nirman Bhavan, New Delhi – 110 011
Tel : 23063481/23061731